SUPER MOIST BANANA BREAD MUFFINS
• 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water; plus 2 teaspoons flax meal for sprinkling over the top of muffins, if desired
• 1 cup whole-wheat flour (can substitute all-purpose flour)
• 1 cup Spelt flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1½ cups mashed overripe bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
• ¼ cup raw honey or maple syrup
• ½ cup applesauce
• â…“ coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon coriander powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 12-cup standard-size muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray
2. In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons flax meal and 6 tablespoons water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, coriander, and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in the honey, applesauce, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and flax/water combination.
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated. Batter will be thick.
6. Divide batter between 12 muffin cups. If you prefer larger muffins with big, domed crowns, divide the batter between 9 muffin cups instead of all 12.
7. Bake for 18 – 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and place tin on a rack to cool for about five minutes. Transfer individual muffins to a wire rack to let cool completely.