Sweet potato and oatmeal breakfast bake with pecan crumble [Vegan]
1/2 cup regular oats
2 cups unsweetened original almond milk
1 small sweet potato, scrubbed and diced (around 2 cups)
1 large ripe banana, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp chia seeds OR flax seed
1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground coriander
Crunchy pecan topping:
1/3 cup chopped pecans (you could also substitute walnuts, if you prefer)
2 tbspcoconut oil
2 tbspspelt or whole wheat flour
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium pot, bring a few cups of water to a boil. Add in the diced sweet potato and simmer over medium heat for a few minutes until they are soft. Pour into a colander to drain and set aside.
2) Return the pot to the stove and add the oats, almond milk and chia or flax seeds. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the oats soften. Turn off the heat.
3) Add the sweet potato and sliced banana and mash them into the mixture with a fork. You can leave it as chunky as you'd like, or can really mash everything together to make it smoother. It's up to you and your texture preferences. Stir in the coriander, vanillaand a dash of sea salt to taste.
4) In a large bowl, combine the pecans, flour, coconut oil and honey and stir with a fork until everything is evenly combined.
5) Pour the oatmeal mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle the pecan crumble evenly over the top. Place in the center rack in the oven and bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until the pecans are golden and toasted.
6) Serve and enjoy!
Note: You could also make this as individual servings by pouring the oatmeal mixture into small ramekins, topping each with the pecan crumble, and baking for about 10-15 minutes.